A Brief History of the Depot

Broadway South Shore Line Station In 1929, Chicago Architect, Arthur U. Gerber designed the Beverly Shores South Shore station in the Mediterranean Revival Style.  It was one of nine similar stations built along this electric train line.   The small structure housed the station and the Station Master’s Residence. After the death of stationmaster, Warren Husband, the building remained vacant for many years.  The station was in jeopardy of being torn down in 1988.

The Woman’s Club of Beverly Shores went into action in 1988 to save the building for use as a museum. Because of their efforts, the building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places July 19, 1989.  As a result it was and continues to be protected from demolition.  It is the only remaining station of its style.

It took almost ten years of fund raising and negotiations before renovation could begin, however.  Funding for the renovation of the station was shared. The bulk of the funding  (80%) came from the Intermodal Surface Transportation & Efficiency Act.   Local Funding (20%) was split between the Northern Indiana Commuter District, the Town of Beverly Shores, the Association of Beverly Shores Residents, and the Woman’s Club.

In compliance with the rules set by the Division of Historic Preservation, construction and renovation began in 1997.

With renovation complete, the Beverly Shores Museum and Art Gallery opened in late July 1998.

 

Posted in Uncategorized.